Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I Don't Want to Gain the Whole World And Lose My Soul

"I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul" is the main chorus line in Toby Mac's song "Lose My Soul" from the album "Portable Sounds." I love the words to this song.

In Mark 8 Jesus told his disciples and the crowd "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels." Mark 8:27:31-38 (NIV)




WOW! Sometimes I think we get so focused on the things of this world, that we forget there is nothing more important in life than what Christ did for us on the cross. Our precious Jesus loved us so much that He was willing to die a horrible death for us so that we could live forever. We should never be ashamed of him.

Here are the words to Toby Mac's song:

Lose My Soul / Afterparty Outro TobyMac lyrics
Artist: TobyMac

Father God, I am clay in your hands
Help me to stay that way through all life's demands
'Cause they chip and they nag and they pull at me
And every little thing I make up my mind to be

Like I'm gonna be a daddy whose in the mix
And I'm gonna be a husband who stays legit
And I pray that I'm an artist who rises above the road that is wide and filled with self love Everything that I see draws me
Though its only in You that I can truly see that its a feast for the eyes - a low blow to purpose
And I'm a little kid at a three ring circus

Chorus:

I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul

Don't wanna walk away let me hear the people say
I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul

Don't wanna walk away let me hear the people say


The paparazzi flashes and that they think that it’s you

But they don’t know that who you are is not what you do

True, we get it twisted when we peak at the charts

Yo before we part from the start where’s your heart?
You’re a pimp, hustler?

Tell me what’s your title

America has no more stars now we call them idols

You sit idle
While we teach prosperity
The first thing to prosper should be inside of me

We’re free … Not because of 22’s the a range
But Christ came in range we said yes now we changed
Not the same even though I made a fall

Since I got that call no more Saul now I’m Paul


How do I sense the tide that's rising?

De-sensitizing me from living in light of eternity

How do I sense the tide that's rising?

It's hypnotizing me from living in light of eternity

(repeat Chorus)

I love that TobyMac is speaking from his heart. Sometimes we forget that we can't take all this "stuff" with us. When I say "stuff" I'm not talking necessarily about worldly goods. Stuff could be prestige, position, power - whatever gets in the way of us putting God first.

If you are reading this blog, pray with me this short prayer.

Father, thank you for reminding us of the sacrifice that your son Jesus made on the cross. Thank you for the gift of eternal life that you have given us. Lord, help us to sift from our lives the things that would distract us or keep us from serving you with our whole hearts, minds, and souls. We bind Satan and his attempts to destroy our families and to separate us from Your Love.

Your word says in Romans 8:34-35 "Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died - more than that, who was raised to life - is at the right hand of God, and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?" (NIV)

Lord, we desire to serve you and put you first in our lives. Amen!

(For a little humor, check out Toby's video blog on this song.)



No comments: